[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Proposed change in Vendor Listing Policy

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Sep 11 16:20:42 EDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback Brad and thanks to Chris for his comments!

I have to say Chris' comments gave me a moment of pause to rethink the
proposal.

In thinking back to the time before we implemented the new vendor
listing procedures,  the community had a vendor page that included 1)
several vendors providing Evergreen services 2) some outdated listings
for vendors that were no longer offering Evergreen services and 3) a few
vendors who, from all appearances, had never been in the Evergreen
business. Even with the new policy, we will always have a problem where
we might have outdated listings until somebody notices that the vendor
is no longer providing Evergreen services. However, I do think the new
policy has been great for removing those vendors who really didn't work
with Evergreen. I suppose we could have removed them without the policy,
but it's always helpful to have a written policy to point to if somebody
questions a removal.

Looking at today's vendor page, the listing is smaller, but I can say
that each and every one of those vendors does indeed provide some
services related to Evergreen. Overall, I think the page provides much
more useful information than it did before the policy was implemented
because Evergreen users no longer need to go through the process of
contacting vendors listed on the page (as I did when I was starting out)
just to find out that they really don't do Evergreen.

Yes, I think the link to Evergreen services is also another step that
might make the page more useful to Evergreen users. However, I'm now
reconsidering whether this means we should make it a requirement.

Since Brad was the vendor who responded to my query, I'm going to use
ESI's page as an example. As Brad mentioned, they don't really have a
page that outlines their Evergreen services. It's very easy for a user
to find out what their services are by looking at their "What We Do"
menu, and, since Evergreen is listed in their "Communities and Software"
menu, it's not difficult to see that those services are provided for
Evergreen. This is the way the company chose to present their services
on their web site.

However, in order to comply with the proposed requirement, they will now
need to create a new page. Brad kindly said he would have no problem
creating this page, but should ESI really be put in a position where
they are required to make this change so that they can remain on the
vendor list? Let's say it's not ESI, but it's another vendor with a
similar Information Architecture on their web site. In this case, the
vendor isn't as agreeable to adding a new page to identify their
Evergreen services. Maybe the vendor is a one-person operation, and that
person is just incredibly busy and can't get to the web site change for
a few months. Is it right to keep this hypothetical vendor off the
Evergreen vendor listing just because he/she doesn't have an Evergreen
services page?

Admittedly, I was one of the first people to say "required" when the EOB
had the required vs. suggested discussion, but, at this time, I'm
leaning towards not requiring. Many thanks to Chris for sharing his
thoughts and making me look at the question in another light.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
klussier at masslnc.org