[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Awesome Box Integration

Vanya Jauhal vanyajauhal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 13:44:35 EDT 2014

Hello everyone

I'm Vanya, from India. I'm a candidate for OPW Round9 internship with
evergreen.

While discussing the idea of Awesome Box integration with Evergreen,  Kathy
and I discussed the possibility of making the Evergreen support for Awesome
Box more interpretive using Artificial Intelligence.

What if we could train the system to give weightage to people's "awesome"
tags on items, depending upon how much their previous tags are appreciated
by other people.

For example: Let's say you tag a book to be awesome. Now, if 100 other
people check that book in, and (lets say) 80 of them also tag it to be
awesome- it will mean that your opinion matches a majority of people. On
the other hand, if 100 other people check that book in and (say) only 5 of
them tag it as awesome, this would mean that your awesome tag is not in
coherence with the majority.
So, in the former case, your awesome tag can be given more weightage as
compared to the latter.

Also, the weightage may vary according to genres. So- you may have a good
taste in mystery books but your taste in classical literature might not be
the same as the majority crowd. So- the weightage of your awesome tag in
mystery would be higher than classical literature.

We can even extend it to provide recommendations to users depending on
their coherence with other users with similar taste.

I am looking forward to your suggestions and feedback on this.

Thank you for your time
Vanya