[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Awesome Box Integration

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Sep 26 14:22:42 EDT 2014

Genre headings can be corrected so that they are current to the thesauri
your library uses. LCGFT and GSAFD  authority records are available, for
example.  However, authorities for genre headings is  relatively recent and,
as a result, many libraries did not retain or add genre headings to bib
records in the past. Of course, adding subject headings to fiction is
relatively recent as well. Some older fiction titles may just have genre
headings, if anything at all.

Copy cataloging should not make a difference in whether headings are used
correctly or whether your library chooses to use genre headings. Although I
suppose your bibliographic utility will. If you obtain most of your records
from LC or OCLC, then certainly newer titles will have extensive genre
headings. With the advent of LCGFT, more catalogers do add genre headings to
bib records. GSAFD use was spotty but has increased. What could make the
difference is whether you use vendor cataloging since your library might
have to pay extra for use and maintenance of genre headings. Particularly if
you use the vendor as a source for your title records.

If your catalogers are afforded the time to correct and add genre headings,
then whether they copy catalog or create all title records originally won't
matter. What their process and procedures are does.

If your genre headings have not been kept up to date (which is likely true
of all of us), then I suggest cleaning them up as much as possible if
Awesome box ratings will include them. And approaching cataloging staff to
see if including use and maintenance of genre headings can become part of
their workflow. Keep in mind that, not only could it increase the time it
takes for items to get to the shelf, if you out source, it might increase
costs. If you use a vendor authority service, genre heading maintenance may
already be a part of the service.

I'm not sure that beginning with broad categories would solve any problems
since anything other than literary form (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama,
etc) is going to be in, or not, a 655. Again, whether LitF in the fixed
filed is coded properly depends on the quality of your bib records. Some of
the prePINES records have very little coding of any kind in the fixed
fields -- about 200,000 out of 1.7 million or so bib records.

Basically, I wouldn't let the quality of genre headings in your catalog
determine whether Awesome Box uses genre headings. Too much in the history
of genre use makes clean headings difficult. I would, however, begin
considering how to clean up those headings so Awesome Box could be fully
implemented.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager