[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Awesome Box Integration

McCanna, Terran tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Fri Sep 26 11:42:02 EDT 2014

We anonymize our data as much as we can without causing problems in the system. We archive old circulations and do not even allow patrons to opt in to store their reading histories. Yes, there are still remnants of the data there, and we obviously can't clear out data related to current transactions or to fines, but it is our intention to maintain as much patron privacy as possible. In fact, we take patron privacy far more seriously than most of our patrons do. System administrators that have direct access to the data can get all sorts of information if they take the time to find it, but the patron's complete circ history isn't available in their record or through a report. This limits the amount of information that any staff person can find out about anyone else, and it ensures that any Patriot Act or other information requests for circulation history have to come to the managing office where we can ensure that the request meets the letter of the law and that frontline circ staff at some remote branch aren't being pressured into giving out all of that information to members of government or law enforcement that should not have access to it without following proper procedures. I would hope that all library systems are taking equal care.

As long as the Awesome Box functionality is designed to hide its ties to individual patrons, then I think it's great, but I think it would do a disservice to patrons to simply dismiss privacy issues out of hand.

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150