[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Action Trigger Opt-In Settings

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:12:24 EDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Josh Stompro <stomproj at exchange.larl.org>
wrote:

>  Hello, I’m working on updating the action trigger documentation to make
> sure it covers everything, and I want to make sure I understand the Opt-In
> settings.
>

> Please tell me if I have this correct or not.
>

> If I wanted to modify the Courtesy Notices (pre overdue) so that they were
> Opt-out.  Something that has been requested by our customers in the past
> since some people get such a high volume of Courtesy Notices so they get to
> be meaningless to those customers.
>

> I would create a User Setting Type to hold the opt-in/out choice. I just
> used sms settings group since I’m not sure how to define a new one of those
> yet or what the group setting does.

The group is there for sorting and organizing, so feel free to use whatever
group makes sense to you.

> Then the new user settings somehow magically becomes active in the staff
> client new user registration and catalog notification settings (Still
> trying to figure out how this happens.)

The happens because of the next step.

Note that setting the "OPAC/Patron Visible" field to "True" means the
setting will also appear in the OPAC.

> Next I modify the Trigger Event Definitions for the “3 Day Courtesy
> Notice” and set the Opt-In Setting Type to the name I specified above and
> the Opt-In User Field to “True”, to match what it should be to be enabled?

Yes and No.  You will set the opt-in-setting type to the setting you
created from the setting name selector.  The Opt-In User Field specifies
the field on the core object which refers to the user object.  (This is how
the system knows how to find the user related to each notice, then look up
that users's settings).  In the case of courtesy notices, the core object
is the circulation (based on the event def hook).  The
action.circulation.usr field refers to the user.  So, the Opt-In User Field
will be "usr" (no quotes).

> I’m guessing I should also go through and set the value to True for all
> existing users also?

Yes, to opt in all users, you will have to set the value for setting
'opac.default_courtesy_enabled' to true for all patrons.

Hope this helps,

-b