[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Deleting Patron Accounts - AND books?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Aug 6 10:20:04 EDT 2015

Jennifer,

Just to address the “weird and random empty records” you see.

Do you have your settings set to automatically delete a bib record if the
last copy/volume is deleted?

A record that is imported into the database but never had copies attached
(or set up for electronic resources without copies) won’t automatically
delete. We run a nightly script that deletes any empty bib record that has
been in the database for six months. Since the workflow for some PINES
libraries results in titles being imported days or months before vols/copies
are added, the Cataloging subcommittee determined 6 months would give
libraries ample time to  add items to any record they still want. People
make mistakes and bring over the wrong record. They don’t always know how to
correct it so they just leave it. The script ensures that we don’t have to
worry about them.

Records without vols/items shouldn’t show up in a public-facing OPAC search
(unless that is a setting?). They do show up in a staff client OPAC search.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service