[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Deleting Patron Accounts - AND books?

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Thu Aug 6 11:15:22 EDT 2015

Hi Jennifer,
The way the system is currently designed, the expectation is that the
copy data will be available even if the people want to delete a record.

The circulation tables records each circulation transaction.  That table
is used in reports that need to count circulation statistics.  The table
does not record specific information about the copy that was circulated,
but it does point back to the specific copy.

Let's say a professor wants to know how the eastern religion books
circulated over the last 5 years.  Maybe the college put some money into
that program and bought a lot of material.  Maybe some of the copies
were damaged or lost and removed from the collection over the span of
that 5 years.  If the copies are gone when you run a circulation report,
you won't be able to count by things like copy call number or copy
statistical category.  That data would have been removed with the copy.
  The same is true for bibliographic data.  If the circulation
transaction can't find the original bib, then categorizing your
statistics by bib data won't be possible. The circulations will still be
present in that table, but drilling down to specific details will be lost.

Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager
North of Boston Library Exchange
Danvers, Massachusetts