[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Book Club Kit Lending

Blake Henderson blake at mobiusconsortium.org
Mon Dec 7 17:44:53 EST 2015

All,

We had a consortium issue we are trying to figure out how to handle.
Several of our library systems would like to share the "Book Club in a
kit" set of books. The idea is to keep the set of books together while
they are circulated for Book clubs around the consortium. The best idea
we have would be to create a dummy copy in the database that represents
the whole set of (x) copies. The call number would describe the title
and quantity. The dummy copy would be attached to a bib called "Book
Club Kit" with some very basic information in the MARC. The consortium
staff members would "know" (with training) that is the place to go for
attaching these kits and where to go in order to place a hold.

Once a staff member places the copy level hold on the dummy barcode.
This is where we have some questions. We would like to circ each book to
each patron for tracking purposes. Of course, the system didn't track
each copy in the transit table. Once they arrive at the destination
library, they would proceed to check out each copy to each patron.
Should the copies have their circulation library changed first? Maybe
there is a better way to handle it?

Does anyone else have a similar scenario?

--
-Blake-
Conducting Magic