[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Book Club Kit Lending

Lindsay Stratton lstratton at pls-net.org
Tue Dec 8 09:35:45 EST 2015

Blake,

Pioneer also does pretty much the same thing as Burlington. We individually catalog book discussion kits, with a list of all the component parts in the physical description/contents notes. Many kits include multiple formats/versions of the title, such audio and large print.

The whole kit is checked out to one person, who distributes them to the group and is responsible for getting all the pieces back. We also use extended due dates (managed by a book discussion kit circ modifier and consortial circ rule).

The book discussion kits are owned by, and housed at, the system office so we are not particularly worried about stats beyond that the kits are being used.

The book discussion kits are holdable by patrons which is very convenient for them, and cuts down greatly on staff mediation, inconsistencies, and all around aggravation.

FWIW, here's a couple examples of our records:
http://evergreen.owwl.org/eg/opac/record/439881
http://evergreen.owwl.org/eg/opac/record/481131

They are also all searched by keyword = book discussion kit

This process has been working for us really well, libraries and patrons love it.

Best,
Lindsay

Lindsay Stratton
Library Automation Services Manager