[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Book Club Kit Lending

Boyer, Jason A JBoyer at library.IN.gov
Tue Dec 8 08:38:18 EST 2015

This is what we've done in Indiana; we had some additional constraints that we piled on, but you could take or leave any part of this that helps.

We have a Set profile which are the only users allowed to place holds on or circ these kits (and they can't use "regular" materials).
There's also a Set circ modifier to enforce the above more easily.
Sets are cataloged on their own records (with a kit record type) and their own icon_format.
We've only recently tried to standardize procedures on these, but I believe we ended up with a single record for each title, and the # of items in each set in the call number.
To prevent confusion at checkin/out the items don't have barcodes, just the manifest included in the box, but copies might have a copy number (and they have all the other regular processing: spine labels, stamps, etc.)
Sets also have their own circ duration that can be 6, 8, or 12 weeks.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to work with.

Jason

--
Jason Boyer
Indiana State Library