[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] About Evergreen OPAC for Mobile Devices

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Feb 12 12:15:02 EST 2015

Hi Tony,

So admittedly, the first work done in this area, we had to select a
resolution to begin writing mobile view for and it was 600px  (you can
see this in the style.css.tt2 file).  So if you're viewing at 615 px,
it will not kick in the mobile view version, of course.  At 600 or
less, it will kick in the mobile CSS.

Long-term, I do believe that we need work to enhance the catalog to
support multiple viewing resolutions.  And there is Dan Scott's filed
bug to deal with designing with mobile in mind first
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1413730).  Not sure where
that's headed yet, but keeping more mobile views than just smartphones
seems like a good thing to do.

In the meantime, you can adjust when mobile kicks in (what if you
wanted it at 650 px?) by changing the CSS file for TPAC.  Or you can
help start creating a good middle sized CSS for view on slightly
larger environments, like tablets.

Continuing work on mobile responsiveness was a project idea during OPW
last time (http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=opw#project_ideas)
and I can see it being a good project for a future Hackfest session or
Hack-A-Way too.

-- Ben

Benjamin Shum
Evergreen Systems Manager