[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Reminder for Conference proposals

Lindsay Stratton lstratton at pls-net.org
Wed Feb 18 13:42:56 EST 2015

I could spend the entire conference happily monkeying with SQL with company... just sayin...

I am working on collection management reports - not just weeding (this item is x years old, circ'd x times, blah blah) but more interesting data about how materials are being used. I'm also working with fine/billing/money reports. In additional to concrete help with my own queries I'd also love to know what others are doing. I am also interested in talking about data sources, and what sort of care one must take when selecting a specific source, and various report criteria. This is particularly critical in anything money related.

A specific query that has me stumped (my SQL is rudimentary) - I want to know, by collection, how many times an item has circulated in the 1st year after purchase, 2nd year, and so forth. I have no idea how to make SQL do the math for a single example, much less account for the collection level view, where bibs/items are continuously added/deleted, etc.

Related to circ stats, I am also interested in trying to capture data that indicates the value to the community that "free" library materials provide. Many libraries have set up "You saved $x.xx checking out books from the library today!" statements on check out slips, and we want to take that to the next level as some kind of eye catching data point for community reports.

Lindsay Stratton
Library Automation Services Manager
Pioneer Library System
2557 State Rte 21