[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about best practices....

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Mon Feb 23 18:07:04 EST 2015

I typically use a pretty round-about process for batch updating bib
records.  It's worked out really well for me so far, but I know that
it doesn't really help with the item record updates that your
catalogers do.

Here's what I do:

1. Create a report template with the first column containing the bib
record's TCN.
2. Create a report using that template in the CSV format.
3. Go to Cataloging > Batch Import/Export, and upload the report
containing all those TCNs.
4. Evergreen will produce a file containing all the appropriate MARC records.
5. Use MarcEdit (http://marcedit.reeset.net/) to make the desired changes.
6. Re-import the records into Evergreen, with an appropriate merge
profile applied on exact matches (901c) only.

I'm curious to see what others are doing.  Thanks for asking this, Tony!

    -Jane

--
Jane Sandberg
Electronic Resources Librarian