[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about best practices....

Tony Bandy tonyb at ohionet.org
Mon Feb 23 17:45:31 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

This group has been very helpful with all of my questions, so if I may, just throw one out there to get folks opinions, best practices, etc., I would be grateful!

----------------

In the case of our consortium, several time our catalogers need to update 2-3k records at a time, usually to alter a fixed field in the copy record.  I know that we can upload a list of barcodes via the staff client and then put them into a copy bucket to do batch edits.  Realistically however, at least in cases I've tried, we're finding out that this doesn't really work too well, except in small numbers of records.

What does everyone do if you need to update thousands of records at time?  Is this something that is being considered for the web client, now that sprint 2 is the next target?  I do realize that it's possible to jump down via the console and do things via SQL, but given the skill set needed to run operations like that, not too practical to expect catalogers and other library staff to have the time and knowledge to do this.

Any workarounds, etc. that you may have come up with would be appreciated!!!

--Tony

Tony Bandy
tonyb at ohionet.org<mailto:tonyb at ohionet.org>
OHIONET