[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Motion to deactivate the "evergreen-admin" mailing list

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Jan 15 13:31:01 EST 2015

On 2015-01-14, at 14:18 , Michael Peters <mpeters at emeralddata.net> wrote:

> Just my 2 cents, but I've always felt IRC was the best place to reach other
> sys-admins for advice.  I can't recall ever posting to the mailing list
> about a system administration issue.  I know there are so many active
> sys-admins on the IRC that I think the response is likely to be quicker
> there.
>
> I'm also more apt to answer a question I see in IRC.  I'm not sure I'm even
> subscribed to anything other than Dev and General.

A problem with IRC is that if no one happens to respond near the time after the question is asked, the IRC keeps rolling on and the question gets lost. If working in a different time zone, or during non-1st-shift hours, the chances of not being heard are high.

With the mailing list, a new message from a list has a slim chance of being unseen.

Personally to me, it’s also a bit ironic that the topic of IRC came up in the context of yet another discussion about the existence of evergreen-admin list. That IRC meeting about setting up the list was about my first time using the IRC for Evergreen, and it was not a pleasant experience. I don’t recall all the details, but my general takeaway was that by the time I was done typing up a response, several posts would either modify the original premise or move the topic along to something else. To counter that effect, when I tried to be brief and fast things did not always come out sounding the way I intended. I had similar experiences when participating in other types meetings on IRC. Based on my personal subjective experience, my view is that the IRC is not a good channel for meaningful discussion.

> Michael Peters
> Senior Systems Analyst
> Emerald Data Networks, Inc.
> Phone: 678.302.3000 x1013