[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Help for a tiny library?

McCanna, Terran tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Sun Jan 18 12:08:20 EST 2015

Regardless of whether it's feasible in a Windows VM environment or not, I really think that Evergreen is too complicated to set up and maintain for someone who doesn't have a strong skillset in system administration. A hosted ILS would be a better option, but a lot of tiny libraries can't afford that either.

Personally, if I were in Ben's position, I would investigate some of the library automation system offerings that are designed specifically for small libraries. Does anyone have any experience with Surpass? I haven't used it, but it looks like it was designed for tiny libraries (less than 5000 items) and has a standalone license option for running on a single non-networked PC: http://www.surpasssoftware.com/surpass-sl.html.

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150