[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Help for a tiny library?

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Sun Jan 18 16:46:05 EST 2015

I'm trying to address the original question.  I appreciate that you have
your own perspective but addressing the issue at hand requires looking at
it in context of the person asking the question, not your background and
your resources.  Nor mine.

I've made several inferences from his question.  Resources are extremely
limited for Ben.  This includes hardware, finances and expertise.
Furthermore, I suspect that time is also limited.  I think it's also likely
that most of their resources are Microsoft oriented, not the least being
user experience.  How I discuss technology solutions for different
organizations will vary depending upon the resources that organization
has.  If I'm incorrect in any of this Ben can tell us and my response might
change.  But this is the reality of many small libraries.

If he as a volunteer for a small library thinks he has adequate time and
resources to work out all of the issues that will be inherent in this
endeavor then I wish him well.  I advise against it.  So, other options?
I'm going to echo Terran and say that hosting is great but it may be
outside the financial scope of options.  I'm not familiar with Surpass but
that might be one.

There are some cheap Windows softwares meant more for personal collections
that might have some limited circulation ability or function that could be
bodged together for that.  There's always building a very simple Microsoft
Access application if the library has access to that.  I'm not a fan of it
but it's an option.