[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Help for a tiny library?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Jan 20 11:37:46 EST 2015

Ben,

If you don’t have anyone on staff that is a trained cataloger and knows MARC
formatting and other cataloging standards, Evergreen would also not be a
good fit for your library.

http://web.nmsu.edu/~ebosman/church/churchlib4.shtml has a list of low cost
software primarily for church libraries but there are some for special
libraries. Not all had pricing on their website but some are in the
$300-$500 range. The list does include products Terran and Ruth mentioned.

There is a “free” product on that site called Lexwin --
http://www.lex.sk.ca/index.html There is a one-year trial period and then
they want you to purchase a service contract if you want to auto-load data
into a LexWeb(?) It looks like it is free if you don’t want to be part of
LexWeb.

St Charles County Library System in Missouri developed an open source
catalog called Listen 2000 that they market to Missouri libraries. I couldn’t
find any recent details so I don’t know anything more. Their contact
information is at http://www.youranswerplace.org/administrative-staff
(this may also require knowledge of library standards).

Have you tried contacting other special libraries in your area to see what
system they use? You might even be able to create a partnership with some of
them to defray costs and share technical knowledge.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service