[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] what data do I pull from for a circ by subject report

Chris Sharp csharp at georgialibraries.org
Tue Jul 21 07:37:50 EDT 2015

Hi Jennifer,

> Ok.   So what is the difference between Aged and Active?   And why are not
> all circs just circs?   If the item ever went out, isn’t it counted as
> having circulated?

"Aged" circs are ones where the user data is disassociated with the circulation, but statistical data about what, where, and when are preserved in a table outside the normal circulation table.  At this point, yes, all circulation counts for items within the Evergreen application (Item Status, Last Few Circulations, etc.) should count both aged and active circulations.

> Any further advice on this report is welcome.  I have not really started
> working with it yet except to look at what Rogan suggested.
>
>   My source was “Circulation” from the drop down list of Sources.
>      My base filters were:    Check out Date / Time (selecting between
>      year+month)  and Org ID
>         Still not sure how to select call number range, but was going with
>         Item – Call # / Vol – Call# label and choosing “between”
>
>   My displayed fields so far are:  Circ Library, Circ count, and Call number
>   Label.
>
> I would really like to get the call number “group” rather than exact call
> numbers.   Anyone have any ideas about that?   In other words, if an item
> has a call number of 365.4988 F45c  it would fall in the 300’s group.
> My idea is to use the “between” transform and run a report for each
> call number 100’s range.   If there are other options, I’d like to know.
> It would be great to get an aggregate TOTAL of all items that circulated
> within the 300’s for the current date range (i.e. year).

You might try out the "Classic Circulation View" source, which is visible from within the reports interface, but not enabled on the backend by default.  See https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1050384 for discussion about why not.  In any case, that view has "Dewey Hundreds" and "Dewey Tens" as available columns, and might do exactly what you want.  And, yes, it counts both aged and active circs.

Hopefully that helps some!

Chris

--
Chris Sharp