[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem with Edit Items / Volumes per Bib function?

Walz, Jennifer jlwalz at asbury.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:40:35 EDT 2015

All -

 Here is where I don't understand the current construct and wouldn't it make more sense to have the call number and the barcode be at the item level for each record?

  Like this:

Title blah blah blah etc, author and owning library and so on.
  -   345.0998 B58a   1908987293
  -   345.0998 B58a   1908987294
  -   345.0998 B58a   1908987294

Why do the call numbers need to have their own level called volume?  What does it add to the mix?   In other words, what does this particular construct enable libraries to do specifically?

 If you had the call number at the same level of the barcode, you could STILL update either and not affect the owner or copy location (unless you wanted to).   Let's say an owning library had 5 copies of a title, but wanted to put them in five different locations - each with a different call number.   You could if you wanted, without creating and fiddling with "volume" level data.   Why can't that level just be eliminated altogether?

 Just saying.   I'm just not seeing the benefit of having the call number / volume level.   Seems to complicate matters unnecessarily.

 If anyone can give me ANY help to fix about 300 records that have gotten deleted and then mysteriously not, I would be most grateful!   Where is that pesky "deleted" indicator anyway??   I want to turn it "off" for these records. (my other pet peeve!   Items should be GONE from the system entirely and not in a phantom zone!)

Thanks!

Jennifer
Jennifer Walz, MLS - Head of Research & Distance Services
Kinlaw Library -  Asbury University
One Macklem Drive, Wilmore, KY 40390
859-858-3511 ext. 2269
jlwalz at asbury.edu