[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Inventory Item

Lindsay Stratton lstratton at pls-net.org
Thu Jul 30 09:19:29 EDT 2015

Pioneer uses a system similar to SITKA's, using reports, but we also create special inventory accounts.

The inventory account - libinventory - is used to login to an EG session and then each item currently on the shelf in the inventory location is scanned in checkin. This changes both the Last Editor and the Last Edit Date for the inventoried items. (Here's a link to an example of the inventory report: http://plum.pls-net.org/twiki/bin/view/Evergreen/InventoryByShelvingLocationReport)

The report can be run on demand, filtered by shelving location. It displays item status, item info, create date, circ date, edit date, last editor, holds on the bib, and copy notes, and includes ALL items that are, or should be, in that location. Once output to Excel, staff can easily sort out items inventoried, items in circ, items known to be lost/missing/bad status, and items that are actually missing from the shelf. The combination of last editor/last edit date allows staff to work on inventory without limiting patron access to that part of the collection, and without really worrying about scanning everything on shelf in a single session.

Our libraries have reported that they like this process because it also helps them catch items that have other problems - such as bad status items on the shelf, items that don't have records at all, items still checked out to patrons; and on the fly weeding.

We also have general shelf list reports (by shelving location and call number range) which can also be used for inventories, but are geared more specifically for collection development and weeding projects.

Lindsay Stratton
Library Automation Services Manager
Pioneer Library System
2557 State Rte 21