[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] User environment

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Mar 9 02:48:46 EDT 2015

Hi Howard,

In client-issue.PNG, the error you see there "TypeError:
g.my_libs_tree is null" can commonly occur when there was an
incomplete autogen.sh run during the installation/setup process.  What
I would do in that situation is recommend that you run "autogen.sh -u"
as the opensrf user and then also restart apache2 process.  A
successful output on a test system might look something like:
http://pastie.org/10011544   If you encounter any errors, that'd be
where to start looking further for more troubleshooting to see what
might have gone wrong to prevent autogen.sh from running properly.
Restarting/reloading apache is required too, for things to take
effect.

For error-boxes.png, I would like to point out that navigating to
http://hostname/xul/server is not the path you want to use Evergreen
normally.  That web path is for the downloaded staff client
application only, and most of the errors you see there occur when you
use a regular web browser to access that page instead of the staff
client application.  When you finally manage to log in via the Windows
staff client, you will be able to click on the elements of that
landing page you saw and they will not cause errors.  So errors like
"ReferenceError "xulG" is undefined" is due to expected interactions
with the XUL-based staff client application and *not* any standard web
browser.

When a regular user does access Evergreen via a web browser, if using
the default apache configuration that's copied during the Evergreen
README instructions, if you were to go to http://hostname, you should
have been automatically redirected to something like
http://hostname/eg/opac/home (or you can navigate to that directly
too).  That's the main web catalog for which you get the search box
for cataloged materials, links to the My Account, etc.  Out of the
box, it's mostly example content and colors, and you can learn to
modify the template files to generate styling and other information as
desired.  I would suggest perusing
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.7/_designing_your_catalog.html for
that type of information about customizing the online catalog design.
The docs site is also handy for reading over how to use the staff
client application and other aspects of Evergreen too (though as
always, it is a continuing work in progress by the community to update
the documentation and add more content to reflect aspects of Evergreen
operations).

In general, much of this information already existed in earlier
discussions in archived IRC logs or mailing list messages.  I was able
to tease most of it out using Google to search out some of the error
strings you saw (error text + "evergreen" = lots of examples of older
troubleshooting by different folks).

Hope this information helps get you further along in your look at
Evergreen.  As the week starts anew, maybe you'll get further feedback
from other community members, or can seek further advice through
different methods (IRC can be a fun place to chat with other
Evergreeners - http://evergreen-ils.org/communicate/irc/)

Cheers,

-- Ben

--