[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] User environment

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Mar 9 02:59:20 EDT 2015

Hi Howard,

Responding now to the general question too...

For our libraries, we're current running a variant of Evergreen 2.7
series (with lots of local customizations) on multiple virtual
machines -- split between 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 server
editions; we're primarily Ubuntu shop here.  In general, I would
recommend Evergreen 2.7 be installed on Ubuntu 12.04 due to some minor
quirks with 14.04 for specific areas like Acquisitions EDI, but if
you're just testing things out, Ubuntu 14.04 should be "safe" to use
to get the feeling for Evergreen.  Special note, the 64-bit version of
Ubuntu is the only widely tested platform, the community in general
does *not* test the 32-bit version for compatibility.  Also, for
Ubuntu, you need "server edition", there may be quirks and problems if
attempting to use the "desktop edition" or others of Ubuntu (or there
has been mention of problems with desktop edition in the past).

While Fedora is noted as an installation target, it has not been
widely supported as an "official" Linux platform for use and I would
not recommend using it for your tests.  Others will suggest Debian as
a platform too; I can't speak for the whole community but some past
surveys of users did seem to suggest the vast majority are split
between either Debian or Ubuntu as their platforms of choice (I'll
link to the survey thread http://markmail.org/message/6w56bgogb4475nqr
, but it looks like the link in the archive is not working quite right
or something else is wrong with Edoceo's site for me as I tried it).

In general, the installation process for Evergreen has improved
dramatically over the years I've been using it, but there may be
always room for further improvements to the process.  Others might
have suggestions or further opinions to offer on the matter.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Evergreen Systems Manager