[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] adding books and materials to library catalog

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Mon Mar 9 14:01:11 EDT 2015

If you're not from a libraires background all the talk about cataloging and
MARC records may be a bit "inside baseball" and sound odd.  Essentially,
libraries put a lot more into a record than many people may assume.  Though
the core of it is what you'd see on an Amazon record it may be much more
extensive.

For context if you go here:

https://sclends.lib.sc.us/eg/opac/record/2020610?query=james%20patterson;qtype=keyword;locg=127;expand=marchtml#marchtml

And click on the expander at the bottom for MARC Record you'll see an
example of what I would call a fairly typical brief record.  Each of those
MARCs, the field names, all of that has meaning to a cataloger.  These can
be written from scratch or copied from other locations.  Libraries
typically use a variety of commercial services for accessing networks of
these records as well as supplying access to each other's via Z39.50 for
these purposes.  When we do this we download MARC files (typically an XML
file) and then import it using the cataloging tools in the staff client.
Note, this is a typical process not an exhaustive list of options.  :)