[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] adding books and materials to library catalog

Ruth Frasur director at hagerstownlibrary.org
Mon Mar 9 13:49:18 EDT 2015

MARC is a type of record.
http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/

Evergreen is a collection of databases and is designed to manage patron and
item records (put simply).  If you haven't already, you may want to read
through http://evergreen-ils.org to get an idea of why Evergreen was
developed the way it was as well as link to some instances of it "in the
wild."  If there is an organization near you that is using it, I would
encourage you to give them a call and ask to visit so that you can take a
look at it in practice.  I know that most people who are running Evergreen
are particularly proud of it and glad to teach others about it.

I will also say that Evergreen is complex.  I am a library director; not on
the IT side of most anything.  It would require a fairly steep learning
curve for me to get a stand-alone instance of Evergreen up and running
despite 7 years as an end-user and some experience under the hood (very
little and all inconsequential).