[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] adding books and materials to library catalog

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Mar 10 09:05:31 EDT 2015

MARC stands for Machine Readable Cataloging and is a carrier format for
bibliographic data. The link Ruth set is a good source for background and
specifics.

There is an Amazon to MARC converter
(http://chopac.org/cgi-bin/tools/az2marc.pl). The records are extremely
brief and more suited toward acquisitions records than cataloging records
(they don’t have subjects and the name headings (authors, editors,
performers, etc.) are not what we would use in cataloging); but, they might
help you to get a few records in your database. The MARC record from the
converter for The Martian by Andy Weir is:

000 00000nam  2200000 a 4500

001 ASIN0804139024

008 150310s2014    xxu                 eng d

020    0804139024 (hardcover) |c $24.00

020    9780804139021 (hardcover)

100 1  Weir, Andy.

245 14 The martian : |b a novel / |c Andy Weir.

250    First Edition.

260    [S.l.] : |b Crown, |c 2014.

300    384 p. ; |c 25 cm.

520    Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to
walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a
dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking
him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to
even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his
supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are,
though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery,
unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to
kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his
ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to
quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after
the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds
against him?

856 40 |3 Amazon.com |u
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804139024/chopaconline-20

To see what the record looks like as cataloged by the Library of Congress
(DLC or LC) from OCLC’s WorldCat database, see the PINES catalog at:
http://gapines.org/eg/opac/record/5658405?query=martian%20weir;qtype=keyword;locg=1;expand=marchtml#marchtml
(you may need to scroll down to see the MARC)

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service