[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing authority record via Z39.50

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Mar 24 09:36:15 EDT 2015

Hi Eva:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:05:32PM +0100, Cerninakova Eva wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I would like to ask you for comments or Ideas in following problem:
>
>We are planing implementation of Czech nation authorities in our Evergreen
> at the time. Considering various workflow scenarios we discovered that in
>some cases the most convenient workflow  would be for us importing single
>authority record via Z39.50.
>
>Is there a way to save record imported to Evergreen via Z39.50 as authority
>record?

Unfortunately, at this time Evergreen is not capable of importing
authority records via the existing "Import via Z39.50" interface; it was
built strictly for bibliographic records.

I think it's a worthy goal, though. A minimalist approach to making it
work would require something like adding a flag to the
config.z3950_source table to enable us to differentiate sources between
bibliographic and authority records. Then in the user interface we
would need a toggle that would know whether you were in authority or
bibliographic record mode, so that the appropriate sources, target
tables, and editor mode could be triggered.

A more forward-looking approach would include the possibility
of matching against SPARQL endpoints and the like for linked data
authority sources, as well as Z39.50, but that's probably *too* forward
looking right now :)

Dan