[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Format of $0 identifiers for authority control

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Fri May 8 16:59:15 EDT 2015

Hi all,

When I authorize a heading in the cataloging interface, it adds a $0
subfield in the form (LINN)190374, in which LINN is the name of my
consortium, and 190374 is an identifier taken from the authority
record's 001 field.  This links it to an authority record that we have
imported from DLC.

While this works fine for maintaining consistency within our
consortium, it means that all our $0 fields are specific to us.  As
library linked data conversations become ever more prominent, it seems
like it would be very nice to add $0 subfields that mean something to
people and machines outside our consortium.

Maybe something like (LoC)n 2009034376, where it is clear that the
authority data are coming from DLC, and with a searchable identifier
that is taken from the 010$a.  Or even something like
(uri)http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n2009034376, which is what
folks at George Washington University are doing [1].

So has anybody else fiddled around with IDs in authority records?  Is
there any way to change the org unit that is listed in parentheses, or
to have multiple ones depending on the thesaurus or control set?

Thanks so much for your help!  Happy weekend!

   -Jane

[1] http://bit.ly/1NR0rVa

--
Jane Sandberg