[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 Index Field Maps and the Local Catalog--can you help?

Tony Bandy tonyb at ohionet.org
Wed May 13 15:11:04 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Hope the conference is going well?

I was wondering if anyone on the list can help me with a Z39.50 Index Field Maps and searching the local catalog question.  If so, thanks!

---------------

Here's the scenario:  Library A has a new DVD that they would like to add to their catalog.  Using the Z39.50 portion of the current 2.7.X staff client, is there a way to search the local catalog for any existing bibs before the library decides to bring in a new bib record?

I would think they could select the drop-down to say "visual materials", choose their local catalog and bring up by title, author, etc. etc. a list of bibs.  This way they could choose to overlay or just attach an item.

Is this logic right?  Would a better choice be to choose the TPAC instead of the Z39.50 portion of the staff client perhaps?

---------------

Part 2:  Given the Index Field Mapping Options on the Evergreen system, does that relate in any way to the scenario above?  I'm trying to logic my way through this.  The documentation (see: http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.8/_z39_50_search_enhancements.html) helps in a generic sense, but I'm not sure how this relates to searching your own local catalog for visual materials.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide...

--Tony

Tony Bandy
tonyb at ohionet.org<mailto:tonyb at ohionet.org>
OHIONET