[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Action Trigger Grouping Logic & Timing - Hold pickup

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Wed Nov 11 12:31:42 EST 2015

Hello, could someone please help me out with understanding a few things about action triggers, specifically about their use with hold pickup notices.

I just had a situation where a customers holdshelf items were checked in one every 30 minutes, so the customer received 4 phone calls, one for each item, so I just want to adjust our settings so that doesn't happen again.

First question, does the "Hold Shelf Status Delay" library setting have anything to do with action triggers?  Or is that just dealing with the display in the catalog?

Second question, the hold shelf events get grouped by the usr, when there are multiple events.  The Event def delays based on the shelf time field.  Does the delay logic take effect on the grouped events, or just on each event individually?  If the delay is 15 minutes, is that based on the latest event in the grouping, or just each item individually?

For hold pickup emails it isn't such a big deal, since emails are usually free to all parties.  Phone calls and SMS should try to minimize notifications since there are sometimes costs involved.  Maybe the telephony side of things should try to combine calls after they have been queued, and include a check to not call one number more than x times a day for the same customer to protect against a barrage of phone calls.

Another issue I have to figure out is how to deal with the sites that are only open 2-3 hours a day, 1-3 times a week.  They need hold pickup notifications to go out quickly to give the customer a chance to make it in during their limited hours, vs sites that are open 20+ hours a week that can afford to delay more to group more.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Josh