[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Linux VPS

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri Nov 20 01:19:34 EST 2015

Hi Bruce,

Theoretically, I think that ought to be enough resources in general
for a reasonable starting system.  But I honestly do not have exact
metrics for system specifications to draw from.  Other folks might
suggest more appropriate specs based on their experience.  I'm going
to do some thinking aloud next...

For a moment or so, I wondered on average how large the PostgreSQL
metabib indexes would look like for a library with 30k titles.  Using
a totally, terribly rough example on this, I have access to an
Evergreen library's database that I know which has roughly 10k live
bibs equaling around 1.3 GB of metabib data content (using Galen
Charlton's method for analyzing Evergreen database size:
https://galencharlton.com/blog/2010/05/database-server-disk-space-usage-in-evergreen/).
So if you're three times that, that could mean you might use up 3.9 GB
(or more if your bibs are well defined).  Not to mention all the other
parts of the database.  *Note: these numbers are very rough and quite
possibly wrong in either direction.*

Having a large database of contents could affect overall system
performance, because if you do not have enough memory to keep your
Evergreen database happy in memory, it will have to hit the disk to
retrieve necessary data more frequently.  That said, because Linode
uses SSDs for disk storage, I wonder if PostgreSQL performance issues
would be mitigated anyways with the generally faster I/O with that
technology.  Unfortunately, that is not something I have easy
experience measuring... though hey, I once ran a copy of our
production Evergreen database (with 1.2 million bibs) on a Thinkpad
laptop with 2 core i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and 500 GB SSD and it felt
like I was searching faster than our old production environment (made
up of lots of clustered servers and regular disk storage).  So you
never know what magic SSDs can deliver... :)

I know from my own personal experience using Linode, that there are
also plans like the one you describe where you can add on extra RAM
with additional cost.  Not sure if that's worth looking into long-term
either.  In any case, it would seem that you may have some options to
alter the system specifications later if necessary to expand the
environment.

Hope some of this proves useful and spurs thought and suggestions by others.

Cheers,

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum