[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Authorities

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Tue Sep 15 11:39:12 EDT 2015

Eva,

First of all, I am not a cataloger so I may get some cataloging
concepts wrong. I may be able to help a little bit with your first
question since my institution provided funding for the control sets
development. Though we did not design it. My understanding is that
Evergreen looks at a particular fixed field in authority records to
determine the control set it will assign to it. Within the EG
authority MARC editor this fixed field is labeled as "Subj,"  but it
is often known as 'Subject Heading Thesaurus' or as "Subject heading
system/thesaurus."

In this LoC page it is listed as being position 11...
http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad008.html

So it looks that some or all your authority records may have that
Subj/thesaurus fixed field set to "n."

Before I give you more advice, can you tell me what thesaurus value(s)
you picked for your custom authority control set for use with Czech
national authorities?

For example these are some of the Library of Congress list of thesaurus values:

'' = Alternate no attempt to code
a = Library of Congress Subject Headings
b = LC subject headings for children’s literature
c = Medical Subject Headings
d = National Agricultural Library subject authority file
k = Canadian Subject Headings
n = Not applicable
r = Art and Architecture Thesaurus
s = Sears List of Subject Headings