[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Circulation Limit Sets

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Thu Dec 22 13:44:30 EST 2016

Scott,

The answer to your question mostly comes down to what circulation
matchpoints apply to the circulation and what limit sets apply to those
matchpoints. (It can be, and likely is, more complicated, but let us
forget that for a moment.)

If the matchpoint comes from the library doing the circulating, then
that's the limit that applies. So, in your first example, library X
sends DVDs to library Y, then library Y's limit applies. In your second
example, if library Y sends DVDs to library X, then library X's limits
apply.

If your matchpoints are based around the library that owns the item, and
not the library where the circulation happens, then the limit sets of
the library that owns the item will normally apply.

You can set the limit sets up so that they fall into groups, and
different things can count as the same thing. For instance, you can
group CDs and DVDs together, or VHS and Cassettes, and so on. You can
also limit people to 5 DVDs, and only 1 DVD with a certain circ
modifier, and that 1 DVD counts against the two limits.

I'll stop there with the simplified answer. I'm not sure that I could
explain it all very well in an email.