[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SMS Carrier gateways for MVNO's

Justin Hopkins 📖 justin at mobiusconsortium.org
Mon Feb 1 16:43:25 EST 2016

Hi Josh,

We've fielded many help desk tickets from our libraries on this
question. We typically explain the issue to them as "unless they know
the underlying carrier it won't work for them". I learned something
today about the model number of their phone being indicative of the
carrier. That's good to know. One thing though, for AT&T- is the the
word "potato" or the roasted sweet potato emoji 🍠?

This reminds me of a discussion from a while back about trying to
gauge the interest of libraries to employ an honest to goodness SMS
solution. Personally I think it's a great idea, and while not free
it's also not very expensive. I can't put a dollar amount on the value
to the libraries, but based on the nature of our help desk tickets
concerning sms notifications and "text call number" opac feature I'd
say it has considerable value. At some point I had Blake doing some
queries to get at a number of texts send per month and IIRC the cost
would be less than $70/mo for the entire Missouri Evergreen consortium
at current Twilio rates.

Cheers,
Justin

--