[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Loading MARC order records from vendors

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Mon Feb 22 12:02:17 EST 2016

We use tag 970, configured on the provider record in Evergreen and with the vendor (we do it ourselves on B&T’s Title Source and Ingram’s iPage, and have the vendor do it for us where we don’t have access to the vendor’s MARC configuration). We chose 970 since it was what our previous system used, so it wasn’t a major leap from profiling we’d done with our vendors pre-Evergreen.

We use

970 a = Owning library

970 b = Quantity

970 c = Call number (on the vendor side, we configure a default call number of “On Order” for all ordered materials)

970 d = Copy location (on the vendor side, we use a default of “Acquisitions”)

970 e = Circ modifier (on the vendor side, we use a default of “acquisitions”)

970 p = Estimated price (list price)

970 w = Note (lineitem notes)

We don’t include fund in the uploads. We found by eliminating fund as a variable value on the vendor’s site, it simplified things and actually saved our libraries money in the case of Title Source, since they no longer had to subscribe to B&T’s grids to enter the variable fund for each cart. Instead, our librarians apply the fund to the lineitems after the PO is loaded to Evergreen. That’s the same reason we went with defaults for the copy location and circ mod. The “On Order” call number and the Acquisitions/acquisitions settings make it quite clear to staff and public that the item is not yet in the building.

We let the system generate a temporary barcode number with an “acq” prefix when the PO is activated, which is why we don’t include that in our 970 either. That gets replaced once the item arrives and is cataloged.

We also assign a bib source we call “vendor order record” when the file is uploaded. We can use that with SQL to find records that were newly added in the load instead of matching our full cataloging records. Then we can look on OCLC for fuller versions for the “vendor order record”-labeled records and overlay them.  But that’s another story.

Mary

Mary Llewellyn

Database Manager

Bibliomation, Inc.