[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Patrons can't place holds on Parts

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Mon Jan 11 09:27:24 EST 2016

Hello Rosie,

I think you are right in that this scenario (block holds when available, allow holds for unavailable parts) is not supported by the current code.  Unfortunately, I think getting it supported also won’t be especially simple, especially from the UI side.

It’s simple to check if every copy is out, but in this case we’d need to know if any particular part is totally out, so that’s the first hurdle.  Maybe some of those pieces are in place, I didn’t check.  After that, you would then need to decide how to present the place hold links / screen.  How do you make it clear (along with the underlying reasons) that the patron can only place a hold on a certain part?  It seems inherently confusing for a holds screen to be partially offered, so we’d need to be careful there.

I do think this is missing functionality we should ultimately support, so please just take this as some thoughts about what you might be up against.  Please open up a bug (if there isn’t one), and if you do tackle this, please share back what you did to get it where you needed it to be.

Sincerely,
Dan

Daniel Wells
Library Programmer/Analyst