[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Self-Registration and Immediate Access to Services

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jan 29 14:43:17 EST 2016

Hi all,

I know of some libraries (not Evergreen libraries) that do this. In one
case, although the online card can be used to access electronic
resources, it has a short expiration date. If the user doesn't visit a
library within a certain time period (2 weeks? 1 month?), it expires. My
understanding is that this program has worked well, but, once again,
this isn't one of the libraries I work with, and there may be some
details I'm unaware of.

I agree that it is important to check your licensing agreements before
implementing a program where you allow immediate access, but I do think
there are ways to work with vendors to implement a service like this
one. It would be nice for the option to be available in Evergreen for
those libraries that want to pursue it.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier