[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] All permission groups deleted?

Rogan Hamby rhamby at esilibrary.com
Tue Jul 5 15:54:05 EDT 2016

Hi Jennifer,

With the caveat of anything is theoretically possible if an admin has done
bizarre thing x, y and z ....

Generally Patrons will be a child of Users and it would be impossible to
delete Users and Patrons still exist.  It's kind of like yanking the
foundation out from under a building and the building not moving.

You can certainly delete groups and permissions be in the system.
Permission Groups and Permissions are totally separate things.  Permission
Groups are a label, say Catalogers, that have Permissions associated with
them.  However, permission groups have constraints against a number of
other tables.  It would non-trivial to delete them if they are used in
holds rules, circ rules, assigned the users/patrons, etc...

I'm echoing Thomas a bit here but what you're describing sounds very
unlikely.  What ever appears to be happening from the staff client level is
most likely, at the very least, not the whole story.  If you don't have
database level access to your system you need to contact someone who does
to investigate what is happening.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Walz, Jennifer <jlwalz at asbury.edu> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
>  Very interesting!     And completely confusing.     What I think you are
> saying is that it is possible to delete the GROUP, but meanwhile all the
> actual permissions are still in the system?
>
>   When evergreen was started, it has two main permission groups.
> Patrons and Users.    Our patrons group is still there, but the whole group
> of Users is gone and as far as I can tell, so are the actual permission
> profiles that were under that group.    Cataloger, Catalog Administrator,
> Circulation Administrator, Systems Administrator, etc.
>
>  It would seem to me that what you are saying makes sense, that of course
> you cannot delete the actual permission profile if there are users attached
> to that profile.   But is it possible to delete the whole group AND all the
> permission profiles underneath can go away?
>
>   Thanks!
>
> Jennifer

Rogan R. Hamby, Data and Project Analyst
Equinox - Open Your Library
rogan at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS | www.esilibrary.com