[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen translations by the numbers

Cerninakova Eva cernin at jabok.cz
Fri Jun 10 06:18:56 EDT 2016

Hi Ben,

> Re: 1:  I am +1 to the criteria, as they seem quite reasonable.
>
> Re: 2, 3:  I say also +1 to translations coordinator role and yay,
> thanks Eva for volunteering!
>
> Re: 4:  I agree that the release manager can be a primary contact for
> the translations coordinator.
>
> Re: 6:  I think that initial list of languages seems a reasonable
> starting point.  We can still add other languages back before the next
> major series is released if they begin to show more activity per
> criteria established.
>
> Re: 7, that's a concern of mine in how development and translations
> are being handled by the community.  Right now, the release process
> steps list out that string freeze happens at "beta" time, meaning
> prior to that point, any changes can be made to strings in master as
> it develops.  Between beta and release, no one should merge any
> changes that alter the strings in the files.
>
> Launchpad does not appear to have any notification options for the
> arrival of new strings to translate.  In the past, I think we used the
> email announcement of "beta" to indicate that it was time to begin
> translations by interested parties.  Given the timeframe though
> between beta and release candidate / .0 first release, I have been
> concerned that there is not enough time given over to translations.
> When I was RM, I ended up unofficially making the .1 release an
> additional translations sync to get more strings done into an actual
> release.

Thank for all the  information - it is very helpful for me.

> Based on Mike Rylander's email regarding the 2.11 timetable (see
> http://markmail.org/message/ygmnqu26lwuacnv6), I wonder if we should
> consider doing multiple template string updates to try giving more
> than just a chance at beta time.  Meaning, we should do a translation
> templates (POT) sync at alpha time and beta time; with a freeze on
> string changes at beta time.  And sync from Launchpad translations for
> POs at beta, RC, and final release too to grab progress as it occurs.
> That said, the vast majority of major changes happen at Beta time,
> when most code changes get pushed in.

Doing multiple template string updates and sync from Launchpad Translation
for POs at beta, RC and final release WOULD BE REALLY GREAT! I remember
that translation was one of  the most important issue especially at a time
when we were working on going live with Evergreen or when old OPAC was
being transformed into TPAC. In a fact in these cases every single Czech
string mattered and  from this point of view I would say that even  the .1
release  you used to did unofficially as release manager could  be  very
helpful for the local language communities.

On the other hand both Evergreen and translations are constantly changing
and we must take as a fact that there will always be at least minor gaps
between latest  Evergreen release and status of  translations included into
it. However this gaps might be  easy overcome by adding information on how
to add new translations into the local installation of Evergreen to the
documentation. Adding translations to the TPAC and web staff client it is
not very complicated process and  with a piece of documentation it could be
easy done e.g.,  when installing or upgrading Evergreen.  ( Now I see I
will have to add "communication with Documentation Interest Group" to my
"to do list" ;-) )

http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:release_process:evergreen:2.8#translations_i18n

> Thinking ahead, the biggest changes will likely be for TPAC and
> webstaff files with any catalog changes and new development for
> modules in the web-based staff client.
>
> -- Ben

Eva

Odesláno pomocí AquaMail pro Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

---
Mgr. Eva Cerniňáková
cernin at jabok.cz
Tel. +420 211 222 409

Knihovna Jabok
http:/knihovna.jabok.cuni.cz
Tel. +420 211 222 410

Jabok - Vyšší odborná škola sociálně pedagogická a teologická
Salmovská 8, 120 00 Praha 2

Dne 8. června 2016 19:03:18 Ben Shum <ben at evergreener.net> napsal:

> [...]
>>         - Translations have been updated within the past 12 months and at
>> least 50 % are complete
>>         - It is known there is someone actively working on the
translations
>>         - There is a known living Evergreen catalog using the given
language
>>         - The en-* variation of translations should have an exception
from
>> criteria above as they are a special case.
>>
>> 2)  Role of translations coordinator
>>
>>         - He/she should communicate with translators  and provide
>> information from Evergreen translators to developers and vice versa
>>         - If possible he/she should help translators with issues related
>> Evergreen translations in Launchpad etc.
>>
>> 3) As I have already noted before I can volunteer as  a translations
>> coordinator  at present.
>>
>> 4) It will be necessary to fix the person I shall communicate with.
Should
>> this person be release manager? Or anyone else?
>>
>> 5) I am planning to contact translators to all languages and find out
>> information about the situation of particular  translations (if it is
>> supported, used  etc.).  I suppose I will use Launchpad for it. However
it
>> will be very helpful if you send me names (or contact also if possible)
 of
>> translators if  you have an information about them.
>>
>> 6) From the previous conversation I understood that the proposal to skip
>> some unused languages concerns the future releases. It seems reasonable
>> me as Idon´t think I will be able gather all  information necessary for
the
>> decision whether  (not) to include particular language soon enough before
>> 2.11 release (I am currently working on a project with quite close
deadline
>> so I have limited time available).
>> However If there is a general consensus that we want to cut off the
>> unsupported languages immediately, according to criteria mentioned above
>> following languages should be definitely included to Evergreen at the
>> moment:
>>
>> cs-CZ  -- Czech (98,77 % complete)
>> hy-AM  -- Armenian (79.18% complete)
>> fi-FI  -- Finnish (73.09% complete)
>> en-CA  -- English (Canada) (70.73% complete + "en-*" variation )
>> en-GB  -- English (UK) (66,89 % complete - active within past 12 months +
>> "en-*" variation)
>> pt-BR  -- Brazilian Portuguese (58.84% complete -  active within past 12
>> months)
>> fr-CA  -- French (52.84% complete - active within past 12 months)
>> es-ES  -- Spanish (39.57% complete but there is known activity and
number of
>> translations continues to grow every day :-) )
>>
>> 7) As a person trying to watch the new strings to translate I would
>> appreciate having information about new parts of Evergreen to translate
>> actually added to Launchpad. Does anyone know if it is possible to make
some
>> setting in Launchpad to get information about newly added translation
>> strings? May be there is such function  and I only  was not able to
discover
>> it. Or  (in case it is not)  would it be possible to send me a message
when
>> new translation strings are added?  -  I will share the information with
>> other translators too. Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Eva
>>

>> ---
>> Mgr. Eva Cerniňáková
>> cernin at jabok.cz
>> Tel. +420 211 222 409
>>
>> Knihovna Jabok
>> http:/knihovna.jabok.cuni.cz
>> Tel.  +420 211 222 410
>>
>> Jabok - Vyšší odborná škola sociálně pedagogická a teologická
>> Salmovská 8, 120 00 Praha 2

>>> If you're volunteering I think you would be great for the role.  :)

Evergreen