[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Seeking funding partners for Evergreen search project

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Jun 13 10:47:56 EDT 2016

Hi all,

As you know, MassLNC has been working this year on finding ways to
improve search in Evergreen. As a result of several community-wide
discussions on search as well as a follow-up meeting with our colleagues
at Equinox, we are now looking to fund some projects that we believe
will bring improvements to the current Evergreen search.

The projects include:

- investigatory work for infrastructure improvements for search. This is
largely a consulting project where Equinox would prototype the
elimination of staged search, analyze potential optimizations in newer
PostgreSQL releases, and investigate and prototype other relevance
improvements.

- a development project to implement the improvements that come out of
the investigatory phase of the project.

- a search and display infrastructure project. This project will change
the way we configure indexes for the keyword class, allowing us to 'kill
the blob' that is currently used as the default keyword index. It will
also implement the Metabib Display Fields development. Expected end
results of this project are to 1) Allow sites to more easily weight
fields in a keyword search 2) Use Metabib Display Fields to render the
catalog's search results and record detail pages 3) Add the ability to
use proper case in reports, 4) Add the ability to highlight search terms
in the search results page and the record details page.

We also hope that this work will lay the groundwork for building a good
Did You Mean? enhancement in the future, even though it isn't included
in the scope of the current project.

MassLNC is committed to allocating funds towards this work, but the
project is complicated, and we are not able to fund it on our own. We
are putting out a call to see if there are other Evergreen sites out
there that are interested in helping us fund this very important project.

If you would like more information on this project, please send me a
direct e-mail, and I will share more details with you.

Thank you!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier