[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Call Number Prefix and Suffix

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Mar 10 10:12:01 EST 2016

I think adding a feature that would allow the user to choose whether to
include the prefix in a browse search is a good compromise. I would not
want to lose the ability to exclude prefixes from sorting.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I first began cataloging at SOLINET's
retrospective conversion department, we used subfields in the 090 (locally
assigned LC type call number) and 092 (locally assigned Dewey) for
prefixes and suffixes. I no longer remember what the subfield for the
prefix was but it wasn't unusual for an academic library to have a call
number like:        |?R |aF495 |b .J3 |y 1800-1810, |v Vol. 1|p Pt. 2 |n
no.3. It was cumbersome; but, call numbers sorted correctly.

It would be nice to have a call number browse for shelflisting to check
call numbers that differed from the call number browse used by
noncatalogers. Shelflisting functionality allows you to see where the call
number fits, with or without affixes. Even for those libraries that don't
require unique call numbers, it does help in co-location and allows you to
spot an error in class number assignment quickly.

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150