[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Series facet fix from conference.

Boyer, Jason A JBoyer at library.IN.gov
Fri May 27 09:57:49 EDT 2016

I was about to implement this here, but I wanted to point out that if you instead change " ;.*" to " *;.*" it will work if you have 0, 1, or more spaces before the semicolon. If this makes it into core, that would be the one to use.

Jason

--
Jason Boyer
MIS Supervisor
Indiana State Library
http://library.in.gov/

From: Open-ils-general [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Josh Stompro
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 10:37 AM
To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Series facet fix from conference.

**** This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. ****
________________________________
Hello All, I was notified by Brent Mills (Sage) on IRC that one of the presentations at the conference covered fixing the issue with the series facet where the 490 subfield v is included.  So instead of one entry for the series, you get one entry per volume of the series.  I just wanted to bring it up here in case anyone is searching for it in the future.  I would be for this just being included in the default system, but I'm not a cataloger so I don't know if this is generally applicable or not.

The presentation was Metadata Abattoir by Mike Rylander
https://evergreen-ils.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/eg16-Prime-cuts.pdf

Our 490a data wasn't all uniform, the space before the semicolon is missing in many cases, so I adjusted the regexp from " ;.*" to ";.*" so more of our 490's would get fixed without needing to modify the marc data.

We also have a bunch of 490 entries that leave out the semicolon, so I either need to fix the marc for all of those, or find out how to not include the 490v in the first place.  I need to learn much more about xpath and mods before I can figure that out though. (oh, looks like Mike explained how to do that back in 2012 - http://markmail.org/message/l7cfk7fcj2xmw27t - sweet!)

A reingest is needed after the new normalizer is specified before you will see changes in the facet data.  I used the following to only reingest the records that contained a semicolon in the series facet, limited to 9000 records in a batch.

select metabib.reingest_metabib_field_entries(source) from metabib.facet_entry where field=1 and value ~ ';.*$' limit 9000;

Thanks
Josh

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110