[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Screen Readers and Evergreen

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Mon Sep 12 11:43:53 EDT 2016

Hello Rose,

There are several library staff in our GLASS (Georgia Library for
Accessible Statewide Services) division that use JAWS with the standard
Evergreen staff client (we're on version 2.9).

The GLASS staff recently did a bit of initial testing with JAWS and the new
web-based staff client that is under development and ran into several
problems that will need to be resolved before it will be fully usable for
them. For this, the only browser they were able to use was FireFox, because
the staff client wouldn't work with Internet Explorer, and the
accessibility tools wouldn't work with Chrome. The bug reports for
accessibility issues are here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?field.tag=accessibility&orderby=-id&start=0

For OPAC use, they report the best success with Internet Explorer, followed
by Firefox.

I hope that is helpful information for you. If you have questions about
accessible technology options for staff or patrons (related to Evergreen or
not), I'm sure they would be happy to give you advice. Their contact
information is available at: http://georgialibraries.org/glass/

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service