[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] EG data backup retention policy

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Tue Dec 19 14:38:22 EST 2017

Hello, I'm curious how many systems have a policy for how long you keep evergreen data backups.  And I'm also wondering how long you keep your backup snapshots?  I heard a comment from leadership of another library system that they keep 2 tapes/copies.  The one in the drive waiting to be written and the one copy that is off site.  With the goal of minimizing historical data that can be seized by law enforcement.

I've always been way more paranoid of any one backup being bad vs worrying about data being seized, so the idea of only having one or two backup snapshots of the database makes me nervous.

Thanks
Josh

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110