[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] EG data backup retention policy

Martha Driscoll driscoll at noblenet.org
Tue Dec 19 17:03:35 EST 2017

Josh,

That's an interesting question!  I keep 3 snapshots on a logging server
(last 3 days).  Once a week the latest snapshot gets sent to a cloud
offsite backup service where I keep another 3 snapshots.  We also run
streaming replication so a second database server is continuously
archiving the live database.  And then there are the WAL archives which
get written to the logging server and also sent to the offsite service
with their snapshot.

I constantly think I don't have enough backups.  I can't imagine what
the cost would be in time, lost productivity, and diminished service if
a disaster happened and there was no viable backup.

Martha Driscoll
Systems Manager
North of Boston Library Exchange
Danvers, Massachusetts
www.noblenet.org

On 12/19/2017 2:38 PM, Josh Stompro wrote:

> Hello, I’m curious how many systems have a policy for how long you
> keep evergreen data backups.  And I’m also wondering how long you keep
> your backup snapshots?  I heard a comment from leadership of another
> library system that they keep 2 tapes/copies.  The one in the drive
> waiting to be written and the one copy that is off site.  With the
> goal of minimizing historical data that can be seized by law enforcement.
>
> I’ve always been way more paranoid of any one backup being bad vs
> worrying about data being seized, so the idea of only having one or
> two backup snapshots of the database makes me nervous.
>
> Thanks
>
> Josh
>
> Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
>
> Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
>
> LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110

---