[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen client display problems with Windows 10/MS Surface Pro

Ben Shum ben at evergreener.net
Sat Jan 14 02:23:37 EST 2017

Hi Mary,

Yes, this happens on most higher definition displays on newer laptops
where there are more pixels in the screen area than the screen used to
have.  These HiDPI screens can be worked with by changing the value
assigned in the Evergreen staff client for "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx"

If you are an admin in the client (with the right permission or all
permissions), you can adjust this setting by going to "Admin" -> "For
developers" -> "about:config".  There will be a warning issued there
about how changing settings here may void your warranty that you have
to click through the "I'll be careful, I promise!" and then it will
list out all the options that can be changed under the hood.
(warning, this may void your warranty, so click carefully :) )

The default field is the search field, so key in
"layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" and see when that setting shows up, you
can see that it is normally set to a value of "1.0" by default.  You
can change this value to higher numbers to increase the overall zoomed
appearance of icons, menus, etc. in the staff client.  Just
double-click on the preference name for "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx"
and then key in the increased value you want.  For my purposes, I've
found "1.25" (25% bigger) to "1.5" (50% bigger) to be pretty effective
on various HiDPI screens, but you can always try higher values to see
how it behaves.  I don't think it'll increase the size of the top
menus (file, edit, search, etc.), but having the majority of the
content shift size is pretty handy to resolve the issue you've
described in your email.

Hope this proves helpful to you!

Cheers,

-- Ben