[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about a small library without a catalog to migrate

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Wed Sep 13 14:59:12 EDT 2017

Hi Rose,

I've worked with several libraries that added collections manually.

Weeding is an excellent first step. Then deciding on locations. I recommend
the fewer the better and use call numbers to designate where in the
location items are.

Do *not* barcode first. Barcode as the items are entered into the system.
If you barcode first you won't know what's in or not (know this from
experience). Also be sure not to confuse patron barcodes with item ones.

Buy a scanner(s) that will read the ISBNs or UPC codes on the items and the
barcodes you're using.

Make sure the item templates are correct and everyone adding items uses the
same ones. Create a set and export/import if there's more than one login.

I think the easiest thing to start with is adult fiction. These titles are
usually very straight forward. Then adult nonfiction, juvenile fiction and
nonfiction, picture books, audiobooks, paperbacks, DVDs, and music CDs. I
think that's the order of complexity for identifying matching bib records.

Get a sheet or sheets of bright construction paper and use it to stick
between the last item entered and the next. That way if more than one
person works on the collection each knows where to continue.

If you have to use volunteers, use ones you can trust to follow the rules,
no deviations in how to enter call numbers, consistent schedule for
working.

If call number patterns are not consistent, now's a great time to make sure
they are. I'm working with a library now that had 6 different patterns for
audiobook and 5 different ones for picture book.

You can run a report and open it in Excel to sort by barcodes, helps to
find incorrect ones that are too long or too short or are ISBNs (it
happens).

Janet

--
Janet Schrader