[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about a small library without a catalog to migrate

Elaine Hardy ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Sep 13 15:57:23 EDT 2017

I want to echo Janet on not barcoding first and cleaning up inconsistent
call numbers or shelving locations as you go. You would only barcode first
if you had smart barcodes. A book left on the shelves with no barcode is a
good visual cue that it may not be in the bib database.

Also consider reassigning call numbers if you have areas that follow
outdated practice (for example, Dewey libraries used to class all books
about Native Americans in 970.1-970.6).  Develop local practices on
assigning call numbers and cutters and write them up!

Keep in mind that even correcting inconsistent call numbers may mean that
the books won't go back on the shelf in the order they came off, so plan
how you will handle books that are out of the range you are working on.

As Deborah said, keeping the library invisible and nonholdable until
everything is cataloged is best. Even then, make sure you have clear
guidelines on how to handle the inevitable uncataloged item that makes it
to the circ desk.

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service/PINES