[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question about a small library without a catalog to migrate

Jim Taylor jtaylor at jtdata.com
Wed Sep 13 16:39:27 EDT 2017

I normally do more behind-the-scenes stuff so may display a bit (or a lot)
of ignorance here but.

Making sure you have set data rules up-front is a given of course but then.

If there is someone who can do a bit of scripting . I am reasonably certain
you can do item creation (including barcode?) on import of bib records.    I
tend to be lazy so I would write a script that takes the scanned ISBN off of
a book (or type if not) and retrieves the MARC and retrieves the
Classification info,  gives you the option to pick the correct record and
adjust the classification info, if needed, and creates the needed tags and
subfields from provided defaults for the item record, including the barcode.
You can then have everything done in a few short steps and apply the barcode
at the same time with a minimal amount of typing and book handling.

Again, may be missing something obvious but maybe this will help.

Jim