[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 Errors

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 10:30:54 EDT 2017

Hi Lisa,

If EDS is making a persistent connection to the Z server, the first
thing I would suspect is a firewall on your network that drops
quiescent connections after a pre-determined amount of time.  This can
manifest as a half open connection that some programs (presumably the
EDS backend services, in this case) do not detect, so they don't know
to attempt to reconnect.  This is more often seen with SIP2
connections, as Z connections are usually not long-lived and so don't
stay quiescent long enough to trigger the issue like SIP2 client do.

The next time this happens, it would be a good test to see if an
external program such as MARCEdit can connect to your Z server.  If
so, it's not the Z server, but something between it and EDS (or EDS
itself).  If you cannot connect, though, then it is likely a problem
with the ZOOM perl program we use to translate from Z to SRU.  You may
want to see if EDS can use SRU instead in that case.

HTH,

--
Mike Rylander
 | President